UK spouse visa
UK Spouse Visa

Spouse visa UK, or UK marriage visa as some people call it, is a type of visa that lets UK citizens’ married partners move (immigrate) to the United Kingdom because of the fact that they are married to a person who is settled in the United Kingdom. By settled, we mean people who are regular residents of the United Kingdom and don’t have any immigration restrictions related to their stay in the United Kingdom.

Spouse visa UK – Things you should know

In order to apply for a spouse visa UK, you should meet some requirements. First of all, you as well as your spouse must be at least 18 years old. Next, you must be married legally (arranged marriages are don’t count). Additionally, you must provide proof that you are planning on living together with your partner permanently and indefinitely. Obviously, you should provide proof that you can support yourselves as well as your dependents (if any) financially without public help.

The sponsoring partner must earn at least 18.600 GBP annually or have savings that match this amount. This amount will go up if there are any dependants. Finally, having a suitable accommodation for both of you and your dependents (if any) is a must and you must meet the English language requirements.

It is possible to apply for this kind of visa from the United Kingdom, but also from abroad. In case you already have some of these three types of visa – student, work or fiancé – and your visa lasts from more than 6 months, you will get a chance to switch to a spouse visa. The process of application lasts between 2 and 12 weeks. The processing time usually depends on the country where this application was submitted.

Once you get a spouse visa UK, you will be covered for 33 months. In case your application is sent from within the United Kingdom, the visa lasts for 30 months. There is an opportunity to extend this visa too. If the extension is approved, you will get additional 30 months. Once this period is finished, you will be able to apply for ILD (Indefinite Leave to Remain). Of course, you can do this only if you are still married and you are residing in the UK with your spouse. Keep in mind that when you get the ILR you can also apply for naturalization and become a British citizen.

When it comes to the English language requirements, this is a must for people who are coming from countries outside the EEA and Switzerland, people who are in a relationship with an individual settled in the UK or a British citizen and people who want to immigrate to the United Kingdom based on their spouse’s citizenship or status. It’s also good to know that with the help of spouse visa UK you can work or study in the United Kingdom.

Although you can take care of this process on your own, it’s the best idea to hire a professional agency like ours to get help for obtaining spouse visa UK.